In 1875, a group of Michael Creek members who lived in Stovall decided that the distance was too far to travel to church. They were led to seek land closer to where they lived. They found a plot in Stovall, but soon discovered that the space was not large enough to accomodate horses and buggies. A committee that consisted of Charlie Webb, James Blackwell and B. L. Crew approached Mr. John Stovall who gave them a piece of land, where our cemetery now stands. A group of baptized believers began their worship services in that little plank church. Under the leadership of Reverend Walter Pertillo.
On July 4, 1896, John W. Stovall presented one acre of land to Barlett Young, Raliegh Royster Jr., Charles Gregory, Willie Taylor and Reuben Daniel, the deacons of Stovall Chapel Baptist Church of Stovall, North Carolina. This land was to be used for religious purposes. The site selected was located on what was known as "Red Hill" near highway 15 N.
First Baptist Church of Stovall has been led by fifteen Pastors over it's 142 years of existence.
First Baptist Church of Stovall is currently being led by Reverend Jimmie Hayes Sr.